our journey to rwanda....

an opportunity presented itself and we decided to follow where God was leading - rwanda, a land of a thousand hills. a land where almost 1,000,000 were massacred in 100 days in 1994, a land where orphans abound.

our prayer is that God will use this trip to show us many things - but mainly Himself and how we can help the children.

our time will be spent primarily serving in orphanages. we can hardly wait to get there.

p.s. first time readers -- please read the first blog entry and listen to the song playing :)



Sunday, February 7, 2010

why the long blog name?

please listen to the words of the first song that plays. it is the song from hence the blog title came. a friend (thanks ginger :) gave me the lyrics and music to this song 'albertine'. it was written by a young singer from new zealand who went to rwanda on a mission trip and met a girl named, you guessed it, 'albertine'. she promised to never forget her. here are the words to the song (please listen even if it is more contemporary than you are used to....the words are what i pray this trip is about):

I am sitting still
I think of Angelique
her mothers voice over me
And the bullets in the wall where it fell silent
And on a thousandth hill, I think of Albertine
there in her eyes what I don't see with my own
Rwanda
[CHORUS]
now that I have seen, I am responsible
Faith without deeds is dead
now that I have held you in my own arms,
I cannot let go till you are
I am on a plane across a distant sea
But I carry you in me
and the dust on, the dust on, the dust on my feet
Rwanda
[CHORUS]
I will tell the world, I will tell them where I've been
I will keep my word
I will tell them Albertine
[CHORUS]
I am on a stage, a thousand eyes on me
I will tell them, Albertine
I will tell them, Albertine

and also, please read a book called 'left to tell: discovering God amidst the Rwandan Holocaust" by Immaculee Ilibagiza. she survived the 1994 genocide by hiding in a pastor's cramped bathroom with seven other women for 91 days. all this was going on while here in America we watched OJ simpson being chased in his white bronco.

2 comments:

  1. Have you watched the movie "Hotel Rwanda" with Don Cheadel? I watched it with Bob and I cried and cried.
    I love you Jan and your heart.. and your family. I am going to get the books you recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the song Jan. It is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete